|Founded by Irish and German immigrants, the establishment of Christ the King Church was approved in 1926 by his eminence Albert Cardinal Farley. The church building was originally designed to be a Gothic style church with a cropped lower church. Once the Great Depression hit the nation, plans were altered and only the lower church was completed.
The School of Christ the King
In the mid 1950s, parishioners resurrected the idea of completing the original plans of the church. Ultimately, they decided that a Catholic School would best serve the needs of the community. Construction to build a school above the church began in 1962. A parish capital campaign raised $275,000 for the project.
The school opened in September 1965 and was dedicated by Francis Cardinal Spellman. It was staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt. Since its inception, Christ the King School has been a beacon for the communities of the South Bronx. The alumni that have entered our doors have received a stellar Catholic education that equipped them to become the leaders of positive change in our world. This rich and proud tradition continues today as we continue to lead our community in spiritual guidance and educational achievement.